lillypie

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Orphan Sunday

“Defend the cause of the weak and the fatherless; Maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Deliver the weak and needy from the hand of the wicked.” Ps 82:3-4

Today is Orphan Sunday. It's not exactly something to celebrate, is it? Just the word "orphan" and what it implies, gives us no reason to celebrate. Instead, we want to advocate today. We have chosen to adopt an orphan, to bring them into our home and become a family. We are quite aware that this option isn't for everyone, or every child. We wanted to provide some other ways that you can care for orphans. There are an estimated 143 million orphans in the world. Does that grab your heart? It grabs mine. Every 15 seconds, another child in AFRICA becomes an AIDS orphan. (At the end of every year, 2,102,400 more children will become orphans, in Africa alone.) EVERY DAY, 5,760 more children in the world become orphans. Our friends the Martine's are awesome and they put together this slide with 3 ways that you can be involved in orphan care. "Adopt. Go. Sponser." We hope to do all 3 actually, so you can choose any combination of them! I'll start with "Adopt"

ADOPT:
One of the top questions we get is "Why Africa?" It's a valid question and we have several reasons, but we don't think it's any "better" than adopting a child from any other country. Lots of people like to say "why not the US? Aren't there plenty of children right here?" The answer is YES there are!!! There are plenty of children here and in Russia, China, Honduras, Nepal, India and everywhere else. It makes us sad that we can only bring home one at a time. Here are some stats about children in the US:

  • In the US there are approximately 500,000 children in foster care (Based on data submitted in 2008)


  • 130,000 of those children in foster care are waiting and available for adoption. Children waiting to be adopted include children with a goal of adoption and/or whose parental rights have been terminated. Children whose parental rights have been terminated, who are 16 years old and older, and who have a goal of emancipation are excluded from the “waiting” population.
    • Approximately 51,000 children are adopted from the foster system each year.
    • That leaves 79,000 children annually in the US needing an adoptive family.
    • Each year, an estimated 20,000 young people “age out” of the U.S. foster care system. Many are only 18 years old and still need support and services. Several foster care alumni studies show that without a lifelong connection to a caring adult, these older youth are often left vulnerable to a host of adverse situations.
    There are basically 2 ways to get involved in a US adoption. One is through the foster care system and the other is a newborn/ birthparent adoption. States have different laws about that. In Colorado, you have to go through an agency. The birthparents and the adoptive parents have to be represented by an agency. In other states, you can hire a lawyer to make the connection. Our fantastic agency in Colorado, Hope's Promise, does birthparent adoptions. We cannot reccomend them enough!
    I found this site that lists all the requirements for foster care adoptions by state. States A-K & States L-Z
    If I'm being honest, foster care adoptions are the cheapest. If you become a foster parent and then adopt the children in your care, it's essentially free. I struggle to mention that because orphan care should never be about money. You already know that Tony & I have no extra money and yet we have been able to fund a very expensive adoption. It isn't about money. However, I know that sometimes cost is a major factor, so that's why I mention it.
    Speaking of cost, there are tons of grants available to adopting parents. There is also currently an adoption tax credit that's pretty substantial. Depending on your situation, the tax credit could refund a good chunk or possibly all of your cost. Unfortunately the credit is set to expire at the end of the year and there hasn't been word yet if Obama is going to renew it for us.
    As for International Adoptions, all countries have their own sets of laws & rules. Tony & I spent a couple of months just researching different countries and checking off ones that we didn't qualify for. That would be my suggestion for your first step- google laws & rules in different countries and then settle on the one that you are most comfortable with. Then, do lots of research on agencies. You have to have a good agency standing behind you- it's essential. You need a proven, reputable agency. Don't pick an agency based on cost or promises. If they give you the run around, those things won't end up mattering. I highly highly reccomend our agency: America World. We have been nothing short of pleased with them. They aren't the cheapest and they don't quote the shortest wait times, but they are compassionate, informative and will literally go to battle for you and your child in-country when the time comes. America World has programs in China, India, Ethiopia, Russia, Ukraine, Rwanda, Brazil, Honduras and Haiti. I have also heard good things about IAN, Gladney, and Holt though I haven't worked with any of them.

    GO:
    There are several ways to get involved hands-on. There are 2 organizations that I can personally reccomend that go into areas and care for orphans. They do things such as build wells, fix houses, build schools, improve orphanage conditions, take supplies, provide medical care and just love on kids. Show them that there is more to the world then sadness and evil. I have been told that when you go, don't expect to see sad kids with flies all around them, like we see on TV. Expect to see people that are full of life and generous with everything they have. They are happy to be alive and to have each other. I've heard a few testimonies from people who have gone on trips like this that have learned so much from the people they went to "serve" and had their lives and perspectives changed.
    One is One Child Campaign and the other is Visiting Orphans. Both of the families that run these organizations have HUGE hearts for people and would be wonderful to work with.

    SPONSER:
    Sponsering kids conjures up lots of weird feeling and images, I know. As a teen, I had a heart for children overseas, but couldnt stand the commercials where they played sad music and showed the sad kids with flies all around. I know thats hypocritical, but I always felt like it was just a ploy to get lots of American's to send money. Maybe it was? I have sponsered several children over the years. I've tried to do lots of research and know that my money truly goes to the sweet child you see in the picture and not to a directors' fancy new car. We currently have a 6 year old girl in Ethiopia through Compassion Int'l. We can speak second hand into the ethics of Compassion. A group of our friends, through our church, took a trip to Sudan & Ethiopia just recently. Several of the team members sponser kids through Compassion in ET, so they went to visit the Compassion site and their children. They had nothing but absolutely good things to say about Compassion. It's the real deal and they are doing really wonderful things in country. They met their children and they were all so happy and stoked to meet their "family" from the US. I think just the fact that you can go and see their site and meet your children speaks volumes about the organization. We pay $38/month and correspond with our sweet girl through letters and pictures. Compassion Int'l
    There's another sponsorship organization that I have heard really good things about, though we've never personally used them: Children's Hope Chest 

    If you are a reader, there is an incredible book called There is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Green. One of the most powerful and wonderful books I've read. It specifically deals with children in Africa. Go read it!

    The amount of orphans in the world is staggering and heart breaking. I hope you are moved to help in some, even very small, way. If you aren't moved to directly do one of these 3 things, you can absolutely support someone that is. We all need emtional support. You kind words speak volumes.

    Happy Orphan Sunday! Now: Adopt, Go or Support!! :)

    1 comment:

    1. I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be working with? Im having some small security problems with my latest website and Id like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?

      Cccam Server

      ReplyDelete